Sunday, June 14, 2009

Larned, KS

Day 35: 96 miles - Last night we had a good group of cyclists in Dighton. We had run into Chris before, but he's heading east on a xtracycle-equiped Surly long haul trucker...the first one I've seen this trip. We also met a couple from Charleston, SC heading west as well as another guy heading as far west as Pueblo before taking a train to the coast.

It rained on us most of the night, but we got up with the overcast skies and headed out. We rode a little over 30 miles and stopped for some breakfast in Ness City. From there on, I felt great for the rest of the day. It was ovecast pretty much all day, but the winds were pretty calm compared to the last few days. We rolled into Larned this afternoon and was surprised by how much I had enjoyed the day and how well my legs felt after 96 miles. Let's see how they feel after the 100+ tomorrow.

I saw three firsts for the trip. 1) I saw a guy on a fully loaded singlespeed bianchi pista. I'm not sure were he's going or where he came from, but it's still hardcore. 2) Two guys riding from eastern missouri to california with all of there stuff in a full size backpacking backpack on their backs. 3) One of these two guys was on flat pedals.

Tomorrow it's on to Newton Kansas and then Missouri the beginning of next week.

PS. I think we will be in Damascus, VA sometime around the 28th if anyone is interested in camping and/or riding the Virginia creeper with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment